Complaints Procedure

Making a Complaint

Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily, often at the time they arise with the person concerned and this may be the approach you try first.

Where you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a formal complaint you should do so, preferably in writing as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days, as this helps us to establish what happened more easily.

In any event, this should be:

Within three years of the incident, or within three years of you discovering the problem, giving as much detail as you can.

If you are a registered patient you can complain about your own care.

You are unable to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority, unless you already have written authorisation to act on their behalf.

Send your written complaint to:

Complaints, Lower Building,   Alnwick Medical Group,  Alnwick,  Northumberland  NE66 2NL

What we do next

We look to settle complaints as soon as possible.

We will acknowledge receipt within 5 working days, and aim to have looked into the matter within 10 working days, although for some complex complaints we may take the statutory eight weeks allowed by NHS England.

The complaint will initially be investigated by the relevant department manager. Complaints that cover more than one department will be co-ordinated by the senior management team.

You may then receive a formal reply in writing, or you may be invited to meet with the person(s) concerned to attempt to resolve the issue. If the matter is likely to take longer than this we will let you know, and keep you informed as the investigation progresses.

When looking into a complaint we attempt to see what happened and why, to see if there is something we can learn from this, and make it possible for you to discuss the issue with those involved if you would like to do so.

When the investigations are complete your complaint will be determined and a final response sent to you.
Where your complaint involves more than one organisation (e.g. Social Services) we will liaise with that organisation so that you receive one coordinated reply. We may need your consent to do this. Where your complaint has been sent initially to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with.

The letter describing the outcome of the investigation will include details of the result of your complaint and also how you can appeal if you are not satisfied with the response.

You may also approach PALS for help or advice;
Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is the NHS service which can help sort out any problems and provide information and advice.   If you aren’t sure who to talk to, or would prefer to talk to someone not involved with your care and treatment you can call Freephone: 0800 0320202 or email: about any NHS organisation or service.



Carers Federation ICAS, Adapt North, Burn Lane, Hexham    NE46 3HN
Tel: 01434600599     Email